You might think January and the winter months are a time to stay out of the garden and wrap up warm in doors... And you may be right, especially with the recent cold snap... But if you are brave enough to venture outside there are still lots of little jobs to help your garden grow. Here are my top 10 tips for the sunny frosty days...
1. Avoid walking on the lawn when it's blanketed by frost or snow as this will damage the grass beneath.
2. Prune wisteria cutting back summer side shoots to 2 or 3 buds.
3. Prune rose bushes when dormant, cut back just above a bud and remove dead,diseased, damaged.
4. Cut back old foliage on ornamental grasses before growth begins.
5. Cut down old stems on sedums.
6. Hang fat balls and keep bird feeders topped up to attract birds to eat pests in the garden.
7. Prune apple and pear trees
8. Pressure wash paths and patios to takeaway moss, algae and sludge so theses surfaces are safe.
9. Clean out gutters so water runs freely the prevention is cheaper than the cure.
10. Clear leaves into compost as these make a great leaf mound which can be used to mulch your borders once they have broken down.